Nakawa Vocational training Institute
public training provider
Nakawa Vocational Training Institute,
P.O. Box 20121 Kampala,
Website: www.btvet-uganda.org/training provider
automotive, building, construction and the built environment, electrical installation, electrical repair and electronics, engineering and manufacturing technologies, information and communication technology, instructor and instructional materials development
Nakawa Vocational Training Institute (NVTI) is one of the four Public Vocational Training Institutes directly operated and administered by the Ministry of Education & Sports (MoES) through the BTVET Department.
The Institute was established in 1971 by the GOU in cooperation with the Government of Japan through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). The primary objective of the establishment was to provide vocational training skills to school leavers and apprentices in enterprises and to upgrade and assess competencies of industrial workers.
Between 1997-2002, the Institute benefited from a 2nd phase project supported by the Governments of Uganda and Japan, which was implemented by JICA. The project undertook: (i) rehabilitation and expansion of the Institute facilities; (ii) provision of additional equipment and tools and; (iii) training of personnel (Instructors and Managers) staff.
From 2004 to 2006, a programme for consolidation of the project achievements and improving the Institute responsiveness to industrial training needs in terms of new technology in three selected fields was introduced. The programme was intended to transfer modern technologies to practicing instructors in three fields.
· Electricity; Factory Automation / Programmable Logical Control
· Electronic; Digital Technology
· Automotive; Electric Fuel Injection
The programme, which was known as Third Country and In-country Training spread out to the entire sub-region as instructors from Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Eritrea and Host Country Uganda participated.
In June 2007, a complementary project for Instructor Training for Vocational Education Training (ITVET) was instituted. The project’s aim was to upgrade the competencies of in-service vocational training instructors in pedagogy and technical skills in Electronics, Electricity, Motor vehicle and Metal Fabrication. NVTI staff aligned to the project have been trained in Japan as Master Trainers and are now implementing Diploma and Certificate in Vocational Training Instruction training programmes. The first batch of 34 in-service instructors completed their 9-month course in March 2009. The 2nd batch has just completed.
NAKAWA VTI VISION:
To be the center of excellence in developing human resources needed by the dynamic economy.
To provide competence based training for national and international development.
To develop professional, technical and human resource skills and create opportunities for high quality.
To develop core skills e.g. communication skills, team work and problem solving.
To provide career guidance and counselling as young women and men move into the labour market.
To offer workers opportunities for continous learning to upgrade their competencies and learn new skills.
The principal is the head of the institution and is assisted by two Deputy Principals that is to say the Deputy Principal Administration and the Deputy Principal Training. There are eight departments directly involved in the execution of the training programmes. These are Electricity, Electronics, Machining and fitting, Motor Vehicle Mechanics, Carpentry and joinery, Plumbing and Sheet metal, Welding and Fabrication and Building and Concrete Practice. The newly created Pedagogy department addresses the BTVET Instructors’ training delivery skills and managers. All the 8 departments are managed by a Head of Department (HOD), 2 senior instructors, 3 Instructors and 2 Assistant Instructors. All Instructors have benefited from skills transfer from JICA Experts who were attached to each department. The institute receives short-term JICA experts from time to time when it is necessary, for specialized training in different areas.
Nakawa VTI provides training in the areas below.
Engineering Craft courses
- Analogue Electronics I & II
- Digital Electronics I & II
- Computer System I & II
- Domestic and industrial Electrical Installation
- Domestic appliances
- Motor and Generator Rewinding
- Programmable Logic Control (PLC) and Sequential Control
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
3. Machining and Fitting
- General Fitting
- Material Testing
- Machinery maintenance and repair
4. Motor vehicle
- Electronic Control Fuel Injection (EFI)
- Automatic Transmission
- Radiator Repair
- Engine Overhaul
- Auto Electrical
- Body Care
- Preventive Maintenance
- Defensive driving
5. Wood working
- Carpentry work
- Joinery work
- Wood finishing and coating
6. Sheet metal and plumbing
- Pipe work installation
- Domestic and Industrial Plumbing
- Sheetmetal development
- Drainage Installation
7. Welding and fabrication
- Oxy - acetylene / Gas Welding
- Manual metal Arc welding
- MAG /MIG welding
- TIG welding
8. Brick/Block laying and concrete practice
- Brick / Block work
- Construction work
- Architectural work
- Conrete Technology
9. Auto - Electrical
- Engine Electrical and Electronics systems (EFI)
- On Board Diagnosis (OBD)
- Vehicle Air conditioning
- Alarm and vehicle tracking systems
- Body electrical systems
1. Basic Training Programme – Full Time (Day)
This is a 2 years programme; it leads to the award of a Uganda Craftsman Certificate Grade 1 (UVQF Level II) and UBTEB Craft Certificate Part I and II. in addition to technical subjects, entrepreneurship is taught to prepare them for both paid and self-employment on graduation.
2. Basic Training Programme – Part time (Evening)
This programme is the same as above and is meant for those engaged during the day but would like to acquire technical qualification
3. Advanced Training Programme
This is a one year training programme intended to provide progression for holders of the above qualification and prepares them for a diploma course.
4. Upgrading Training Programme
This is a short term training programme with duration of 1 week to 6 weeks. It is intended for those already in employment who would like to upgrade their skills and abilities in new technology.
5. Tailor-made Training Programme
This is a short-term programme arranged on demand to address target group, individual needs or the employer’s requirements on new occupational qualifications.
6. Instructor and Managers Training for Vocational Education and training
The Instructor programme primarily intended to improve the quality of in service BTVET instructors throughout the country.
It has two components pedagogical and technical skills.
There are 2 categories with two awards.
i. Certificate in vocational Training Instruction (CVTI) 9 Months
ii. Diploma in Vocational Training Instruction (DVTI) / Tutorship training 9 months
The manager’s training program(DTIM) is a 9 months course on holiday basis intended for the
principals and middle managers of BTVET institutions and aims at improving their
management competencies so that they are able to plan, manage and run institutions in a business like manner.
This programme was designed to meet the requirements in the various policy documents and plans of the ministry of education and sports (BTVET policy, EESP 2004 – 2014,UVQF roadmap) It is currently being supported by the government of Japan through JICA – ITVET project.
- Basic training programmes
Admission for basic, both full time and part time starts at beginning of January as soon as O’level results are released. Advertisements are run in the news media and the minimum requirement for applicants is “O” level or its equivalent with good passes in English, Math and Sciences. Applications duly filled in are returned to the reception and thereafter, the short listed applicants undertake verification and successful applicants report for training during the 2nd week of February of each year.
Advanced Training programme
Enrollment is done at every beginning of the year
Upgrading and Tailor made Training Programmes
Enrollment is done during school breaks and holidays on request by the interested persons.
In-service Instructor and Managers Training
The enrollment is handled by the Department of Teacher Instructor Education and Training (TIET)
ROLE OF JICA
JICA is contribution to Nakawa VTI projects agreements has been as follows:-
- Dispatch of Experts
- Provision of equipment and tools
- Capacity building (training of counter parts)
- Operational costs for the project
ACHIEVEMENTS OF NAKAWA VTI
Since the training activities started in April 1998, the institute is enrollment for basic training has been impressive.
Some of the organizations that have noticeably established links with Nakawa Vocational Training Institute are:
Sasakawa Global 2000
Kinyara Sugar Works
UNIDO (United Nations International Development Organization)
Rwenzori Beverage Co.
Kakira Sugar Works
Kibale Local District Administration
Mulogo Paramedical Department
Coca – Cola Company.
Uganda Petroleum Institute Kigumba (UPIK)
- Begining of Term II (Advanced) (Nakawa VTI, from 17-05-2010 08:00 to 06-08-2010 05:00)
- All advanced training trainees are reminded to report back for training with paid tuition fees and institute requirements as per the end of term I circular
- TRAINING OPPORTUNITY (NAKAWA VTI, from 01-11-2010 08:00 to 26-11-2010 05:00)
- Applications are invited from teaching / Instructing staff of BTVET institutions both private and public who would wish to undertake instructors' course leading to the award of a CERTIFICATE IN VOCATIONAL TRAINING INSTRUCTION (CVTI)
- Begining of Term V(2nd year Day) (Nakawa VTI, from 03-05-2010 08:00 to 02-07-2010 05:00)
- All second year day trainees are reminded to report back to the institute for training with paid tution fees and requirements as per the end of term IV circular.
- DIPLOMA IN VOCATIONAL TRAINING INSTRUCTION (Nakawa VTI, from 02-08-2010 08:00 to 17-12-2010 05:00)
- The program is intended to produce competent and confident trainers that are capable of training other instructors in the BTVET sub sector. It also provides for progression of the CVTI holders
- DIPLOMA TRAINING IN INSTITUTION MANAGEMENT (Nakawa VTI, from 09-08-2010 08:00 to 12-04-2011 05:00)
- This is a one yaer training programme covering 3 sessions of institution based training and 3 sessions of field practice. The former is covered during the school calendar holidays while the later is taken in the respective institutions during the training term.
- Ndejje University Basic Skills Engineering course (Nakawa VTI, from 02-06-2014 08:00 to 25-08-2014 05:00)
- The training program content is drawn from eight occupational fields namely: Electronics, Electricity, Machining and fitting, Motor vehicle mechanics, Wood working, plumbing and Sheet metal, Welding , Building and concrete practice.
- Begining of Term V (2nd Year Evening) (Nakawa VTI, from 03-05-2010 05:00 to 06-08-2010 08:10)
- All second year evening trainees are reminded to report back for traininf with paid tuition fees and institute requirements as per the end of term IV circular
- Begining of TERM II (Nakawa VTI, from 19-05-2014 08:00 to 30-08-2014 05:00)
- All Trainees are hereby informed that term II begins on Monday 19th May 2014.
- begining of Term III(1st Year) (Nakawa VTI, from 06-09-2010 08:00 to 05-12-2010 05:00)
- All 1st year trainees are reminded to report back to the institute for training with paid tution and requirements as per the end of term II circular. Those with outstanding fees balances are allso requested to clear them before repoting for the next term.
- Industrial Attachment (INDUSTRIES COUNTRY WIDE, from 05-06-2009 08:00 to 31-07-2009 05:00)
- The institute has managed to place a good number of trainees but parents who made some contacts and acquired placement for their daughters/ Sons should register those arrangements with the institutution before actual industrial training begins since the instructors are supposed to follow up the trainees time and again
- It is one of the Pioneer departments established in 1971. It aims at qualifying highlt skilled crafts men and women in the field of Electrical installation and fitting, motor rewinding, Programmable Logic Control (PLC), Sequential Control, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning as well as domestic appliances. Its graduates have been gainfully employed in various industries.
- Machining and Fitting
- The department aims at qualifying crafts men/ women in lathe machine work, slotter machines, planner machines, grinding machines, hardness testing machines. the skills developed are highly demanded in the increasing manufacturing industrial development and the graduates in this department have so far been gainfully employed.
- Established in 1988 as one of the new departments. its first goals and objectives on training were based on Radio, Television (Traditional Electronics) and Domestic electronics. with the coming of JICA experts coupled with a team of hard working instructors made a tremendous contribution towards revising the curriculum to match the modern growing Global electronics technology.. it aims at qualifying crafts men and women in the fields of Analogue electronics, digital Electronics and computer systems for both basic and upgrading training. Its graduates have been gainfully employed more especially in the telecommunications industry.
- Industrial Attachment (All types of enterprises(small , medium and large) are acceptable, from 05-07-2010 13:00 to 27-08-2010 05:00)
- Industrial Training is a component of the full day programme courses. It aims at exposing the trainees to real work situation and help them get skills and techniques that cannot be got from the school setting. This year's industrial training is scheduled to cover a period of 8 weeks.
- Nakawa VTI Application/ Admissions 2012 (Nakawa VTI, from 03-01-2012 08:00 to 27-01-2012 05:00)
- Applicants should have a minimum of UCE or its equivalent for the basic training and a UNEB certificate Part 1 for the Advanced training. application / Verification forms can be obtained from the institute at a fee of 35,000/=
- Motor Vehicle
- The Department provides technical knowledge, skill proficiency and attitude in the practice of automotive repair and maintenance to meet the modern technological advancement. It aims at qualifying trainees in the field of Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Radiator repairing, Auto Electrical, Engine overhauls, Body care panel beating / spraying and professional drivers preventive maintenance. Its graduates have been gainfully employed in various transport companies as well as repair and maintenance workshops